Loaded potato skins are one of my go to simple dishes, so easy to make, very minimal effort for such a great tasting meal. I hadn’t eaten these skins in months before my sister cooked them for me a few weeks back, I completely forgot how much I love them! Both Claire and I have been cooking these skins for as long as I can remember, we can both guarantee how delicious they are!
I never understand why restaurants serve loaded potato skins without any of the potato flesh, it is beyond me, it really adds to the flavour of the potato and it is such a waste! This recipe has no waste, all of the potato is used and eaten and it tastes pretty darn good!
The ingredients are usually in your cupboards (I mean, who doesn’t have the sauces for nachos on demand right?), and if you don’t have them they are pretty cheap to buy! In a bit of a rush? You can speed up the process by cooking the potatoes longer in the microwave and then grilling them to give a good crunchy skin (this is important so they hold the filling).
The longer a potato is cooked the better, I often put them in, and then go to the gym, or go for a shower etc. You can come home from a days work, quickly put the potatoes in the oven and then sort everything else out. They also taste great the next day! So make extra and take to work, just reheat in a microwave for about 3 minutes till the middle is piping hot.
Hope you enjoy this weeks recipe below, let me know what you think in the comments below. If you don’t want to miss out on my weekly recipes/reviews then subscribe today by clicking “follow Chefwynd” below.
Thanks for reading. Like, share, comment and subscribe.
Loaded potato skins
Loaded potato skins with salsa, bacon and cheese, topped with sour cream and chive dip
- 2 medium-large baking potatoes
- 2 rashes of smoky bacon
- ½ jar of mild salsa
- 100g mature cheddar cheese
- 1 cal spray oil
- ½ jar sour cream and chive dip (to serve)
- Baking tray
- Kitchen foil
- Large bowl
- Sharp knife
- Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees
- Pierce several holes in the potatoes with a sharp knife or fork
- Place both potatoes in a microwave and cook for 10 minutes on full (750w microwave)
- Line a baking tray with kitchen foil, place potatoes on foil and spray with oil (I use 1 cal, but you can use any oil) and sprinkle with salt on both sides
- Place tray in middle of pre-heated oven for 45 minutes, then take out and leave to cool on side
- Then, take your bacon and lay this on your grill, grill this until cooked (I like it crispy so about 10 mins, remember to turn it half way through)
- Once the bacon is cooked take out and turn grill down to 160 degrees
- Take the cooled jacket and cut in half length ways
- Grab a bowl and scoop the potato into it, place skins under the grill
- Cut up your bacon (I use scissors), into small 5mm cubes and put straight in the large bowl filled with potato, add the salsa, ⅔ of the cheese and butter; mix well
- Take the skins back out of the grill and load them with the mixture in the bowl. Sprinkle with the rest of the cheese and place back under the grill for 5 minutes until the cheese has melted
- Take the loaded skins out and transfer them onto a plate, add a good dollop of sour cream per skin and enjoy!